Sign up to receive
Mediheal's latest news and updates.
The of Mediheal
In 10 years, MEDIHEAL grew from a novel concept to a fully-established global beauty brand in its pursuit of one goal: to create affordable everyday sheet masks that easily treat all your skincare needs at once. Here’s how we did it.
ROOTED IN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Inheriting the management philosophy of Imsoon Yoo, 1969 founder of L&P predecessor Wangsang Chemicals, L&P Cosmetic representative Ohsub Kwon has worked diligently to fulfill his corporate social responsibility. Headquartered in Gangseo-gu, MEDIHEAL has continuously created job opportunities and supported local rural development activities. Aiming to invest corporate profit back into society, Kwon created the MEDIHEAL Foundation, donating 14.4 billion won to his alma mater, Korea University.
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA
At its inception, MEDIHEAL’s choice to focus on sheet masks was unusual. The 2009 skincare market saw masks as a novelty, typically using them as nothing more than promotional gifts. MEDIHEAL saw it differently, however. The brand paid attention to modern women’s busy lifestyles and realized that people were looking for a routine that was quick, easy, and effective — and masks fit the bill. As they set to work creating a collection which could fulfill all skincare needs, MEDIHEAL redefined the sheet mask as a versatile, professional, and advanced treatment solution.
DEDICATED TO INNOVATION
Over the last 10 years, MEDIHEAL has conducted lengthy study to develop over 250 unique sheet masks in a range of cutting-edge formulas and materials. Many of these became the first of their kind in Korea, including a black mask made with real Bintochan charcoal powder, an acupressure mask designed to stimulate facial acupoints, a never-before-seen 3D ampoule mask that offers effortless application, and a two-step mask treatment with innovative packaging that’s registered as a utility model.
MEDIHEAL’s dedication to creating high-quality skincare doesn’t end with its formulas. Because manufacturing serums, sheet materials, and packaging is a complex and delicate process, a scientific facility is essential to creating safe, consistent products. Thus, MEDIHEAL introduced Korea’s very first automated facility system. Advanced technology keeps products contaminant-free by sterilizing machinery every 8 hours, regulates temperature to maintain the efficacy of active ingredients, and runs 8 different tests to identify and remove 100% of defective products. By minimizing human error, MEDIHEAL makes sure its masks are always clean, safe, and consistent.
MEDIHEAL takes a scientific approach to beauty, working with top dermatologists, scientists, and aestheticians to create highly effective all-in-one skin solutions. In 2017, it opened an R&D center to conduct independent research and development, pioneering groundbreaking mask technology and formulas which place MEDIHEAL firmly on the leading edge of skincare. The company will be expanding even further in late 2019 with the launch of their MEDIHEAL Beauty Science Center.
MEDIHEAL proudly takes an active part in global sports. For the first time as a Korean beauty brand, L&P Cosmetic sponsored the ‘LPGA MEDIHEAL Championship’ at the Lake Merced Golf Club in San Francisco, California in April 2018. By 2020, the brand will have sponsored LPGA tour tournaments for three consecutive years.
CROSSING 5 CONTINENTS
Since its original start in Korea, MEDIHEAL has expanded far and wide across the globe. It now dominates markets in 10 Asian countries, including China, Japan, and Malaysia. The brand has also expanded to the Europe market, including England and Spain, and crossed oceans to hit shelves throughout the US, Australia, Canada, and Brazil.
A DECADE OF GROWTH
When L&P Cosmetic was established in April 2009, MEDIHEAL instantly generated buzz for its innovative medical design motif and unique concept as a sheet mask brand. It began to emerge as a forerunner in beauty science in 2010, starting with its registered utility model 2-step sheet mask design. By 2018, MEDIHEAL was awarded the US$100 million export tower prize — and as of today, it’s sold over 1.5 billion sheet masks all over the world.
- Hyun Bin signs up as advertising spokesperson
- Ranked as one of Korea's unicorn
companies (a company with a valuation
over 1 trillion won)
- Sponsored 2019 LPGA MEDIHEAL Championship
- Reached 1.6 billion in sheet mask sales
- Built a second logistics center Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province
- Signed an advertising deal with BTS
- Became subsponsor of LPGA golfer Lydia Ko
- Awarded the US$100 million export tower prize
- Established US incorporation
- Reached 1.4 billion in sheet mask sales
- Sponsored the '2018 LPGA MEDIHEAL Championship', becoming the first-ever Korean
- cosmetics brand to sponsor the LPGA
- Began selling at Selfridges in England
- Built and opened the brand-new
MEDIHEAL R&D center at L&P Cosmetic
- Awarded the consumer-selected 2017 Star Brand for the second year in a row
- Reached 1 billion in sheet mask sales
- Collaboration with BTS
- Established a branch office in Japan
- Created the MEDIHEAL golf team
- Awarded US$20 million export tower prize
- Awarded Korea’s presidential medal for Job Creation
- Voted ‘Korean Brand of the Year’ by Chinese consumers
- Established MEDIHEAL foundation and donated 12 billion won to Korea University
- Started selling at in-flight duty free (China Eastern, Southern Airlines, Air China, Hainan Airlines) and launched at Eastern China CJ Home Shopping
- Established incorporation in Shanghai, China
- Ranked as the top-selling sheet mask at Korean drug store OliveYoung (Q1 & Q2)
- Collaborated with Line Friends
- Awarded the US$3 million export tower
prize and Korea’s presidential Industrial Service Medal
- Began selling at duty-free outlets in China, Singapore, and Japan
- Began selling at Costco in Korea
- Began exporting to the US, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and Canada
- Established the L&P Design Lab
(Authorized by KIET)
- Launched MEDIHEAL
- 2 STEP Sheet mask was registered as utility model for the first time in the world
- Established L&P Cosmetic Inc.
- Began selling at Korean drug store OliveYoung and other pharmacies
- Began exporting to China and Hongkong
Established Wangsang Chemicals & launched ABOM, a men’s hair care and cosmetic brand
Sign up to receive
Mediheal's latest news and updates.